Eddie W and four other cyclists have just completed their Tower 2 Tower challenge using a MAXXRAXX cycle carrier to transport their bikes.
This is part of a series of sponsored events called Year of Madness, the brainchild of Eddie W which is attempting to complete 12 different events during 12 months. More details on the full schedule are at the Madness 4 Charity websitewww.madness4charity.co.uk.
Eddie was joined by John M, Jonathan S, Garrath K and Gareth B to form a team of 5 cyclists in the Tower 2 Tower challenge. Tamsyn H acted as their support driver.
The team left from Blackpool Tower on Monday 4th June and arrived in Paris on Friday 8th June, completing 140 miles on the final day.
The original planned Route was as follows:
- Day 1 Blackpool FY1 4BJ to Nantwich CV5 7PN 78.09 miles Elevation gain: 1371 ft http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/87793881/
- Day 2 Nantwich CV5 7PN to Warwick CV33 9TL 76.33 miles Elevation gain: 1729 ft http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/87798113/
- Day 3 Warwick CV33 9TL to Bray SL6 2EF 66.13 miles Elevation gain: 1850 ft http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/87803541/
- Day 4 Bray SL6 2EF to Newhaven BN9 0BG 70.25 miles Elevation gain: 1591 ft http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/87805713/
- Day 5 Dieppe to Paris 108 miles Elevation gain: 1818 ft http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/54157102/ Insert
Leading up to this event all 6 have been involved in various sponsored events including climbing Mount Kilimanjaro, the National 3 peaks challenge (Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon within 24 hours), 6 peaks and 500 miles (Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike, The Yorkshire 3 peaks and Snowdon and cycling the 500 miles in between), Tour de Lancs (300 miles round the outskirts of Lancashire) and more than 1 marathon. In total they have raised in excess of £25,000 for a variety of worthy causes.
The Tower 2 Tower challenge will raise money for an amazing charity Derian House Children’s Hospice. The hospice provides specialist care & support for children and young people with a life threatening illness. The hospice is open 365 days a year and the care is completely free to families. With more than £2.85 million needed each year, it remains almost totally reliant on voluntary funding. Sponsor them at www.justgiving.com/yomtower2tower
(This has been pulled from the archives of 2012) However there is still a website for Year of Madness. See what they have been up to since this was written in 2012. chapeau events